Recipe – Namak Para / Nimki / Namkeen Mathri
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Flour (Maida): 1 Cup
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain): 1 teaspoon
- Oil or ghee: 3 Tablespoons
- Water: As required to knead the dough
- In a wide bowl, mix flour, salt and ajwain. Add oil/ghee. Mix well. Using water, knead a semi stiff dough. Dough should not be very hard like Suhali / mathri, otherwise rolling it would be tough and if you make the dough softer, it will not be crunchy after deep fry. So, a semi stiff dough is perfect.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep it aside for 10 minutes
- Heat oil for deep fry.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into 5-inch diameter circle.
- Using a knife first cut ½-inch apart horizontal lines, then cut 1 inch apart vertical lines.
- Using a knife scrap out the pieces from the rolling board into a dotted spatula.
- Once oil is very hot, add the pieces into the oil. After 1 minute, lower the heat and deep fry the nimkis until golden brown and crispy. Flip it all occasionally.
- Take out nimkis on a kitchen towel. Serve hot. Or, allow them to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- You may use wheat flour(aata) for the dough.
- You may use little hot milk or milk cream while kneading the dough, for softer Mathris.